Bobbi Brown is a professional makeup artist and the founder and CCO of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. Bobbi Brown has written eight books about makeup and beauty. Here she talks about what inspired her holistic approach to beauty in a collection of six treatments that target specific complexion concerns.
“Remedies is the perfect fusion of beauty and wellness—it’s the ultimate skin enhancer.” Bobbi Brown
From your perspective, what is the connection between beauty and healthy living? What’s your holistic beauty philosophy?
I’m a firm believer that beauty starts from the inside out. For me, it’s simple: Your health shows on your face. If you take care of yourself—by eating the healthiest foods possible, drinking a ton of water and moving your body every day—it shows. You look good and you feel good.
But I also know that life happens and there are times when you need a boost. This is why the right skincare and makeup are so important. My makeup style has always been centered around healthy, flawless, natural-looking skin. With this in mind, I set out to create a collection of skincare formulas that includes the best of “beauty super foods” that are so important for maintaining healthy skin. We focused on good-for-you foods like almonds, walnuts and olive oil and nutrient-rich fruits, vegetable and leafy greens, seeking out skin-repairing ingredients and the most nourishing extracts. Because if it’s good enough to put in your body, why not include it in your skincare, too?
What was the inspiration behind Remedies?
Remedies has been a long-time dream. I remember writing notes about it in the same journal where I planned the shade range for my ten original Lip Colors. I had this idea for a solution-oriented skincare apothecary that used only a few key ingredients and addressed specific skin concerns. Years later, as healthy living became a big part of my overall beauty philosophy, it seemed like the perfect time to make Remedies a reality.
To help bring my vision to life, my team and I consulted with Josh Geetter, a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioner and Acupuncturist based in Telluride, Colorado who I’ve been seeing for years. Sessions with Josh are amazing—I always feel centered and energized afterward, and leave with some new herb or tea that becomes part of my wellness routine. Josh and I first worked together a couple of years ago when creating my Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40, an anti-aging treatment foundation that’s formulated with potent ingredients originally found in TCM. Josh shares the same holistic philosophies that I do—that beauty and a healthy lifestyle go hand in hand.
While we were developing Remedies, I brought Josh in to provide feedback and guidance from a holistic, wellness perspective. We shared our ideas for formula and base ingredients with him, and he weighed in on the most effective ingredients and ingredient combinations. He also shared his expertise on homeopathic treatments, good-for-skin oils, and balancing pH levels. The concentrations of ingredients were driven by the chemists in our lab, and internal skin biologists drove formulation development. Every ingredient in each remedy was chosen for a purpose and every ingredient is skin beneficial.
The end result is six skin treatments formulated with the most potent ingredients to combat any skin issue. Think of them as superfoods for your face that work their magic underneath your makeup.
Can you use with other skincare products, like a moisturizer and serum? What’s the best way to use Remedies?
Yes. Remedies can easily be customized to enhance their efficacy when used in combination. They are designed to be layered, one over the other, to address multiple skin concerns. Apply them under your serum and moisturizer, and mix and match depending on the skin concern.
I like to use Remedies in a variety of ways based on my skin’s needs/concerns that day. Sometimes I’ll apply the Skin Moisture Solution or the Skin Salve alone on clean skin, and that’s it. But I also love layering skincare formulas under my moisturizer, depending on the condition of my skin. My favorite is the power greens formula, No. 91 Skin Reviver. It’s made with a special blend of super greens including kale and spinach—veggies I eat all the time, and have seen benefits to my health as a result. Now my skin can “eat” the same greens.
Here are a few other ways to layer the formulas based on the condition of your skin.
- For optimal skin health for combination skin, apply 2-3 drops of Skin Reviver No. 91 to clean skin, then layer a few drops of a multi-benefit serum like Intensive Skin Serum Supplement over. Follow with a rich, yet lightweight Hydrating Face Cream, and then finish with Skin Foundation SPF 15.
- To instantly calm skin, apply 2-3 drops of Skin Relief No. 80 to clean skin, then layer Hydrating Gel Cream to hydrate and soothe skin. Follow by spot applying Skin Foundation Stick where needed to cover any redness, and then finish with a dusting of Retouching Powder in Yellow all over skin to further neutralize redness.
- To nourish dehydrated skin, start by applying a Skin Nourish Mask (leave on for 2-5). After rinsing and drying skin, apply 2-3 drops of Skin Moisture Solution No. 86, and then layer a lightweight, yet nourishing moisturizer like Hydrating Face Cream. Finish with emollient Extra SPR 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm to further hydrate skin with providing dewy, lightweight coverage.
- To purify problem skin, start by applying an Instant Detox Mask (leave on for 2-5). After rinsing and drying skin, apply 2-3 drops of Skin Clarifier No. 75, and then follow with an oil-free moisturizer like Vitamin Enriched Face Base. Finish with Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation SPF 15.
- To boost and strengthen skin, apply 2-3 drops of Skin Fortifier No. 93, and then layer a lightweight hybrid skin-renewing formula like Extra Repair Nourishing Milk. Following with Extra Repair Moisturizing Balm SPF 25. Finish with Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40.
Bobbi’s Lifestyle Tips – *as seen in the Remedies booklet
SKIN REVIVER Nº 91 – POWER GREENS FERMENT
- BOBBI’S TIP: If you eat healthy, it will show in your skin. Feed your body with the healthiest foods—ones that are real (not processed), organic and from the ground.
SKIN CLARIFIER Nº 75 PORE & OIL CONTROL
- BOBBI’S TIP: Detoxes aren’t just good for your body, they’re also good for your mind. Try unplugging from your devices at night and on the weekends. Breaking from your screens will help you slow down and make you more present.
SKIN FORTIFIER Nº 93 STRENGTH & RECOVERY TONIC –
- BOBBI’S TIP: When it comes to fitness, it’s not about being thin, it’s about being strong. Strength-training is good for your posture, keeps you toned and helps you burn more calories (even while you’re resting).
SKIN RELIEF Nº 80 CALMING ALGAE COMPLEX
- BOBBI’S TIP: You can’t really control how much stress you have in your life, but you can control how you handle it. Breathing—especially when you’re stressed—helps you calm down.
SKIN MOISTURE SOLUTION Nº 86 INTENSE REHYDRATION COMPOUND-
- BOBBI’S TIP: Staying hydrated is one of the most important elements of being healthy. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to keep your energy up, flush out toxins and make skin glow.
SKIN SALVE Nº 57 RESTORING TREATMENT
- BOBBI’S TIP: Meditation is incredibly restorative. Instead of trying to clear your head of all thoughts, think about a situation that’s bothering you. Consciously evaluate your choices and calmly make a decision.