Top Image Credit: The Grace Tales
Lisa Clayton founded UFIT; one of Asia’s largest bootcamps in Singapore. Here she shares with us her tips on living a balanced lifestyle and some of her favourite hotspots.
SA: What are your 5 tips of living a balanced lifestyle?
Lisa: Everything in moderation means there is a healthy balance to your life. A balanced lifestyle to me isn’t just about eating right and exercise. It‘s about having a positive outlook, having good daily habits and lowering stress. Relationships, work, fitness and health, and emotional well-being all won’t align if you‘re not looking after yourself and aren’t able to make the necessary time for yourself. We all can get bogged down with work and family responsibilities, but no one will benefit if you can’t keep up. You shouldn‘t force yourself to do anything or you wont be likely to stick to it and don’t make things chores that you’re likely to skip.
Here’s my 5 tips:
1. Making the Commitment – Often the hardest to do but commitment turns into dedication, which can lead to passion which leads to results.
2. Boosting happiness – whatever that may be. A glass of wine, a book, a massage, taking your pets out, seeing a movie, anything that allows you to fully embrace the great things in life where you wont get distracted. Being happy gives you a better outlook on life and you can then tackle your daily tasks better.
3. Enjoying exercise for good health – Making a good long workout part of your weekend plans with friends. Sneaking in some exercise on your lunch hour at work, or get up earlier and work out before you start your day. Scheduling appointments for exercise just like you do other important tasks; commit the plan to paper so you’ll be more motivated to stick with it.
4. Making time to eat right – Good eating habits will keep your body healthy, give you energy, and boost your spirits. Healthy food can be delicious, and its fun learning new recipes and healthy combinations. Also, healthy cooking doesn’t have to be time-consuming: keep it simple and make it colourful! If I have to read a recipe over and over again before I understand it, I wont bother. Most people say they don’t have time to cook,but many over complicate the process. I am very visual when it comes to preparing food, so buy cookbooks which have recipes that really jump out at you that you are so excited to try.
5. Making Me Time – Socialising is my me time. A chance to laugh, kick back with my husband and girlfriends, enjoying catching up and talking over the silliest of things. Being surrounded by positive people is for me is the ultimate time to relax. I‘m not good in my own company, I prefer to be around people or my brain doesn’t switch off. However, for some, silence can be your solace. If you have a family, help one another out by offering to give your partner or spouse some downtime whilst the other takes the kids out. Tag teaming, we call it, on the weekends can be one of the biggest acts of kindness and a great way to be able to offer one another some time out.
SA: You have lived in Singapore for over 8 years, what are your top 3 favourite healthy cafes to visit?
1. Common Man Coffee Roasters
SA: How did you begin UFIT and how has it evolved in the last 6 years from when you began?
Lisa: Our journey started seven years ago as a Bootcamp business offering unique group training sessions around Singapore. UFIT has since expanded significantly under the joined forces of former England Rugby International, James Forrester and myself, OZFIT founder.
UFIT launched its 5000 sq ft flagship training studio on Amoy Street in 2011, bringing together personal training, nutritional advice, physiotherapy and injury rehabilitation under one location to bring UFIT members a top class training experience. Delivering proven results at Amoy paved way for UFIT to open two CrossFit boxes and another training studio, One North. All launched with resounding success. We now do overseas fitness retreats, run corporate wellness programs, extensive one on one and group nutrition programmes and run programmes for children.
With the partnership, UFIT is now the biggest and most attended Bootcamp business in Singapore with well over 1400 active members living by our philosophy of getting Fitter, Leaner and Stronger in more than 65 sessions every week. Even as we expand, UFIT will continue to deliver personalised, science-driven results with a passionate team dedicated to living a healthier, happier lifestyle.
SA: Where are your two favourite places to holiday with your family?
Lisa: Bali is our no 1 holiday destination. To do Bali right you have to know where to go and don’t always get wrapped up in the big touristy spots. We love the groovy Canggu, it has everything and some of my favourite cafes in the world.
Byron Bay, BlueWater on the Beach is on a stunning stretch of sand mins away from the eclectic center of Byron. Beaches, surfing, food, great night spots, its our ultimate holiday in Australia.
SA: What has been your greatest challenge?
Lisa: Living away from family and still being able to have them involved in all the milestones of the kids. Things happen so quickly that unless you’re always communicating, many special memories can be lost. The passing of elders is so difficult when you’re living in another county and not being able to offer the support you’d like to.
SA: Two of your favourite places to dine in Singapore?
1) Neon Pigeon
2) Cut – for the ultimate indulgence
SA: 3 pieces of athletic gear you are currently coveting?
SA: How do you like to spend your down time?
Lisa: I love hanging and going out with my husband and friends. If I am desperate for a nap, ill have a foot massage and will be asleep 5mins into it.
SA: A favourite quote of yours is?
“If you are persistent, you will get it. If you are consistent, you will keep it.”
“We are what we believe we are.”
“I hope you wake up feeling strong, powerful, and capable.”
“Happiness is a journey… Not a destination,” Ben Sweetland
UFIT IS SINGAPORE’S LARGEST INDEPENDENT FITNESS PROVIDER, HOME TO PERSONAL TRAINING, UFIT BOOTCAMPS, CROSSFIT, NUTRITION TO REHABILITATION AND RECOVERY AT THE UFIT CLINIC. UFIT STRIVES TO INSPIRE AND GUIDE ITS COMMUNITY OF MEMBERS TO REALISE LEVELS OF FITNESS AND CONFIDENCE BEYOND WHAT COULD BE POSSIBLE ON THEIR OWN. JOIN AN INFECTIOUS, FUN-LOVING COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE WITH OVER 60 SESSIONS A WEEK AT 12 AMAZING OUTDOOR LOCATIONS.